Skip to content

The problem you face is being prepared for the problems, and not just running off to the attorneys every time she acts up. You have to learn what evidence you need to be gathering. Does she make these statements to other individuals? If she has, do you have that person create a notarized statements for you? If all you're doing is telling your attorney that this person is a possible witness, than you're just making him/her money, because that is what the attorney will be doing. And then charging you for the time in doing so. A statement can be notarized for free at your local library.

Do you keep a daily journal so that you can make a quick reference to the times and places she makes these statements? What most judges don't like is not a pushy father demanding his rights, but a properly prepared father so that the judge is not left with deciding which of you are telling the truth. I note that in your state you cannot tape record conversations, so it is very important that you keep your journal with you at all times. I have a member in Kansas City that does go anywhere without his journal. If you doesn't have anything important to write in it, than he writes a note to his child about his day. The child is 12 months old.

Always be looking for ways to do things yourself, rather than pay the attorney to do. Don't ask your attorney to write letters to her reminding her about what the court orders say. Write it yourself, make a couple of copies, and send it to her using both Certified Mail that she has to sign for, and using Delivery Confirmation. If she refuses to sign for the first letter, the second letter will still be delivered to her, with a computerized confirmation done by the mail person.

Insert the copy of the letter, as well as the Delivery Receipt, and/or computer printout from the USPS web site into your case file. When you go back to court for any reason, the judge reads this file to update themselves about the case. Doing this means that he will have this on his mind when he hears your motion to enforce, and/or request to change the primary residential parent.